European Association Comenius – EACO continues the activity of the Comenius Association. The latter came into being on January 26, 1872 in Vienna. Its role was to provide educational support, organize the establishment of schools and subsidize grant programs. In 1942, the Association was dissolved. Its activity was renewed after the end of the Second World War, not only in Austria, but also in the Czech Republic, and since that time, the Association has realized its activities in two branches. The beginnings of the Czech branch were very hard during the socialist period and its activities were often harshly suppressed. However, after the collapse of the socialism, the tradition of non-profit educational support and international mobility in the countries of the former Danubian Monarchy was successfully upheld.
In 2010, two years before the 140th anniversary of the establishment of the original Comenius Association, the association was renamed to EACO. Since that year, it has continued the activities in both branches – the Austrian as well as the Czech one. Above all, the aim of EACO is to support publications in the core countries of the former Danubian Monarchy, especially in Austria and the Czech Republic, in Slovak Republic, Hungary, Slovenia, or also other European countries that share similar legal or cultural traditions. Due to the differing development of these countries after the Second World War and their annexation to either the Eastern or Western Bloc, many of their common ties were destroyed. These ties may now be established anew in such a way that countries which are not only close to each other from a geographical point of view, but which also have a common, almost five hundred-year-old history, would unite again to form an independent, specific region of the European Union.